March 26, 2022
Root Canal Treatment: Everything You Need to Know
Root canals are treatments that save your smile. A root canal, like any other dental procedure, is designed to restore the strength and health of your teeth. When infected or decaying teeth have failed to respond to less invasive therapy, a root canal is the last choice before extraction.
Wassan Dental, which specializes in Root Canal Treatment in Muscat, Oman, ensures that our patients receive high-quality care and achieve desired outcomes.
What is the Signs You May Need the Treatment?
• Severe toothache discomfort when biting or placing pressure on the teeth.
• Your tooth has a hole, chip, or crack in it.
• Sensitivity or swelling of the gums around the teeth.
• Extreme sensitivity or pain in your teeth when exposed to hot or cold food/drink.
• Discoloration or darkening of the tooth.
• During your normal dentist checkup and x-rays, your dentist should inform you whether you have an abscess in your tooth.
When dental X-rays reveal that the pulp has been destroyed by a bacterial infection, root canal therapy is required. If bacteria enter the pulp, it may become inflamed, enabling the germs to grow out of control.
What is the Procedure of Root Canal Treatment?
1. An anaesthetic (freezing) is given by the dentist.
2. During the procedure, the dentist inserts a rubber dam around the tooth being treated to protect it from bacteria in your saliva.
3. To access the root canal system and the injured pulp, the dentist drills a hole in the tooth.
4. The dentist removes the pulp by cleaning and expanding the root canal system using very fine dental instruments.
5. The dentist fills and plugs the canal once it has been cleansed.
6. Either a temporary or permanent filling is used to close the tooth’s opening.
Is Root Canal Treatment Painful?
Root canal therapy is painless and can save a tooth that would otherwise have to be extracted. The infection causes significant discomfort, which is relieved by root canal therapy. Local anesthesia is used to numb your tooth and gums during the procedure. This is to guarantee that you are comfortable throughout the operation.
How Much Does Root Canal Therapy Cost?
The cost of a root canal treatment is determined by a number of criteria, including the position of the teeth, their condition, the number of sessions required, and any additional dental diagnostics that may be required.
How to Take Care Your Teeth after the Treatment?
Brush twice a day, floss once every day, and use antifungal mouthwash on a regular basis to keep your teeth and gums healthy. Following the completion of your root canal and any other procedures, you’ll have a follow-up appointment with your dentist to ensure that everything has fully recovered.
Root canal recovery usually takes less than a week. For a few days, minor discomfort may be present, but it is manageable. Consult your health professional if you have significant pain that lasts more than a week.